The City of Fernley Arts and Culture Taskforce is looking for artists for the Signal Box Art Painting Project.
PROJECT DESCRIPTION: A public art project which creates new artwork for public display within the city of Fernley. The ‘canvasses’ are Nevada Department of Transportation and City of Fernley owned signal boxes in highly visible locations. The goal of the project is to transform utility structures into pieces of art that has meaning to the residents of Fernley; increase awareness and appreciation of art; encourage creativity and enrich residents’ lives through art; foster an environment in which art and culture enhance our community. Artwork will be selected based on the quality of the design, design should be themed consistent with other public artwork in Fernley, and have at least a 3-year life expectancy.
PROPOSALS: Design proposals should consider aesthetically pleasing use of color and form as well as relate well to the surrounding environment in which they will be placed. Proposals should reflect thoughtful consideration of locations and site-specificity. Large areas of black and/or dark colors are discouraged due to the risk of overheating the signal boxes. Outside murals are subject to the harshest environmental conditions; therefore, murals are required to be painted with high-quality paint with proven ability to maintain color-fastness for at least three years.
Artists are expected to provide manufacturer specifications on chosen materials with proposal. Materials, colors used, and design will be at the approval of the City of Fernley. Upon application the artist must take into consideration: need for doors or hinges to open, keyholes not to be painted over, and not covering vents. All signal boxes are programmed for the public. The appropriateness and quality of proposals are determined by a review panel, whose recommendations are provided to the City of Fernley for final approval.
BUDGET: Project budget is $600 per signal box.
ESTIMATED SCHEDULE CALL FOR ARTISTS – SIGNAL BOX ART PAINTING PROJECT
May 1, 2021
Call for Artists Available
June 1, 2021
June 2-30, 2021
July - August 2021
Artists paint signal boxes
SPECIFICATIONS: Selected artists will design and execute one-of-a-kind two-dimensional images that wrap around all sides and the top of the selected signal box. Paint specifications:
• Base coat - exterior white paint -Kilz Premium Primer Interior/Exterior
• Main coat – Chroma Acrylic Mural Paint, Golden Heavy Body Artist Acrylics, Liquitex Heavy Body Acrylics, Rust-Oleum Professional Rust Resistance Enamel Spray Paint
• Top coat/sealant – Rust-oleum clear coat spray paint gloss, Rust-Oleum Ultra Cover Gloss Clear
SIGNAL BOX LOCATIONS:
• Hwy 95A & Main Street
• Chisholm Trail & Hwy 95A
• E. Newlands Drive & Hwy 95A
• Stanley Drive & Newlands Drive
SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS & ONLINE APPLICATION
1. Current resume detailing professional artistic accomplishments and references from past public art projects, including awards.
2. A minimum of three digital images of relevant artwork. Images must be labeled with artist’s last name, numbered according to Image List and in JPG format.
3. Image List – image number, title, media, size, date, location, description of work.
4. Project approach – articulate design concept, anticipated maintenance requirements, estimated dates of execution and choice of material (including manufacturer specifications). Limited to one page, type written, artist’s name, phone number and mailing address.
5. Visual representation of project proposal. This will be done on the Signal Box Art Painting Project Design Submission Template at **website**.
6. Project budget – design, artist fee, and materials.
7. If you have a preferred signal box you would like to paint, please list your preferences.
8. Click here to APPLY.
If you have any questions, please call 775-784-9858 or email email@example.com..